We are simulogics, a small independent game studio located in Germany. We craft simulation games for experts. Right now, we are working on our second browser-based economy simulation MMO, Prosperous Universe (prosperousuniverse.com).
For this and other projects we are seeking a frontend mastermind that can combine technology and design to build beautiful yet extremely dynamic web interfaces. This isn’t about off-the-shelf landing pages or one-level-above-React-tutorial web apps: We are talking thousands of components in a real-time client with a fully user-customizable UI! If this sounds like a welcome challenge to you, read on!
This is not an entry level position but we are open to a wide range of diverse candidates from a variety of professional and personal backgrounds. If you doubt some of your qualifications, please get in touch with us and apply anyways.
This is a remote contract that is initially limited to a duration of 12 months. We are open to both freelance and employed team members (German jurisdiction). The expected start date for this contract is December 2019 - though this might shift, depending on a pending public funding application.
- Apply your keen sense of good design to writing robust and sustainable code for very complex frontend projects.
- Take the expert interface of Prosperous Universe to the next level by making it accessible on tablets and mobile devices.
- Translate lots of features and high information density into beautiful yet usable interfaces.
- Coordinate with backend developers, community managers and game designers to constantly improve the UI and UX of our new and existing games.
- Design, develop, maintain and optimize our product- and landing-pages (in collaboration with the Communications Manager) as well as the frontends of account management systems, blogs and similar systems around our games.
- You possess solid design skills and are able to take an idea from 2D mockup to well-structured, responsive and cross-browser LESS/SASS code.
- You are driven to write beautiful, maintainable and robust code and to avoid unnecessary complexity.
- Working with version control systems like Git and common Git workflows is second nature to you.
- You are aware of and able to master the challenges of getting things done in a completely remote environment, without the oversight of a Design Lead, line manager or any other job specific manager, setting your own goals and managing your own time.
- Your workflow is well developed, structured and you can even teach the team a thing or two about your job.
- You enjoy hard sci-fi universes such as The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica or Firefly.
- You are a positive, nice and friendly person that enjoys working in a team with others and are a general pleasure to be around.
- You speak and write conversation-level English.
Speaking German is a plus but not a requirement, as are any backend development skills, experience with 2D and 3D design tools, knowledge of WebGL/shader development or previous work with static site builders like Jekyll or Hugo.
- Lots of creative freedom and actual responsibility.
- Work from home (or from wherever you like) and on your own schedule.
- Be part of a small and tight-knit team with a no-bullshit attitude.
- Ability to work part-time (anything between 50% and 100%).
This position is pending an application for public funding and will initially be limited to a duration of 12 months. Given financial viability we plan to maintain this position indefinitely beyond this initial timespan.
Sounds good to you? Then don’t hesitate to send us your application to email@example.com, including your salary expectations and a quick overview of the work you’ve done in the past. We are looking forward to meeting you!