We are simulogics, a small independent game studio located in Germany. We craft simulation games for experts. Right now, we are working on our second browser-based economy simulation MMO, Prosperous Universe (prosperousuniverse.com).
Be the steward of Prosperous Universe’s game design - in charge of everything that is systems design, balancing and the overarching user experience.
This is not an entry level position but we are open to a wide range of diverse candidates from a variety of professional and personal backgrounds. If you doubt some of your qualifications, please get in touch with us and apply anyways.
This is a remote contract that is initially limited to a duration of 12 months. We are open to both freelance and employed team members (German jurisdiction). The expected start date for this contract is December 2019 - though this might shift, depending on a pending public funding application.
- Advocate for our players’ enjoyment & engagement over the technical and financial necessities of running a live massively multiplayer game.
- Review and distill player feedback (in collaboration with the Communications Manager), distinguish facts from fiction, prioritize identified issues and come up with creative solutions.
- Turn the Game Director’s vision for a hard sci-fi universe into a prioritized mid- and long-term feature road map for the development team.
- Design new features in the context of the game roadmap: Create design documentation, interface mock-ups, basic algorithms and implementation guidelines for developers and UI artists.
- Regularly review the game’s usability and push for important UX improvements in a heavily UI-driven game with a deep and complex expert interface.
- Create the commodity tree that underlies the game’s economy and everything that derives from it - such as buildings and production recipes - and implement it with our in-house tools.
- Balance the costs, timers and all other numeric parts of the game to ensure that the in-game economy stays sustainable for many years while making sure that different player groups - from newcomers to veterans - have a challenging and motivating play experience.
- You understand the complexities of designing and managing a virtual economy.
- You have experience working on at least one large, systems-driven simulation environment, strategy game, virtual economy, or similar product.
- You have a very clear understanding of the requirements of designing and balancing in the context of a persistent, competitive multiplayer game.
- You have a clear understanding of ethics in game design and you want to design games that actively improve the life of our players.
- You are very comfortable and happy spending a lot of your time in spreadsheets, dashboards and analytics tools to dig deeper into the root causes of player behaviour.
- You are aware of and able to master the challenges of getting things done in a completely remote environment, without the oversight of a Design Lead, line manager or any other job specific manager, setting your own goals and managing your own time.
- You workflow is well developed, structured and you can even teach parts of the development team a thing or two about your job.
- You enjoy hard sci-fi universes such as The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica or Firefly.
- You are a positive, nice and friendly person that enjoys working in a team with others and are a general pleasure to be around.
- You speak and write conversation-level English.
- Nice-to-have: You speak German.
- Nice-to-have: You can act as a Data Analyst and create advanced predictive models that show how game changes might affect the economy and individual players.
- Lots of creative freedom and actual responsibility: You will be the game design department!
- Work from home (or from wherever you like) and on your own schedule.
- Be part of a small and tight-knit team with a no-bullshit attitude.
- Ability to work part-time (anything between 50% and 100%) or as a freelancer.
This position is pending an application for public funding and will initially be limited to a duration of 12 months. Given financial viability we plan to maintain this position indefinitely beyond this initial timespan.
Sounds good to you? Then don’t hesitate to send us your application to email@example.com, including your salary expectations and a quick overview of the work you’ve done in the past. We are looking forward to meeting you!